Saturday, August 18, 2012

500 U.S. military bases in Iraq are ghost towns?


See, part of my struggle with stories like this is this:

I still feel like a passenger on a plane. I trust that the pilot doesn't want to crash, because he wants to go home and slam some Boone's Farm with his new boyfriend.

In the same way, I still trust that there are people in positions of power who do want the country strong and just. That our TREMENDOUS investment in Iraq and Afghanistan has not been totally insane. That some logic does apply. That we have done some good; that the world without this intervention would be a very different place. That we took a stand. I am done with most of my chest-pounding and flag-waving; I am much more curious and less trusting than in years past; I am actually working to get answers to my questions about military, economy, society, et al.

I have left the Republican party. I have joined Occupy. I am writing. I am blogging. I am broadcasting a weekly radio show on BlogTalkRadio. All these things come from my curiosity with the question: WTF is going on?

Please tell me what you think. Or tell a neighbor, family member or friend. We are going to need every resource we have to not only make a strong choice in November, but after that, when the work begins, to be vigilant and a little self-righteous. To see if we like the country the way the Constitution and founders intended it, or if we need to wipe clean the white board and start anew. Or something in between.

This is your reminder from me that it is all our work. And that there is no "them." We are all in this together, and if we want answers to why we build 500 military bases in Iraq, we have to chase them down ourselves. If we want to know if they are really ghost towns, we have to do some work.

I am going to start by reading this article.
 ·  ·  · about a minute ago · 

No comments:

Post a Comment