Monday, August 12, 2013

Working 24/7

Working 24/7

I like to fish for my students' enthusiasm by asking what they want. After the initial "No school," Lamborghini, and pile of money fantasy statements, they will occasionally respond to the "Why?" follow up.

Why? What then? And all the subsequent follow ups that I address to myself always end up with fun being the ulitmate goal.

I am always surprised when others don't mirror the same response, and feel deeply that it is just lazy thinking. What COULD be more important than wild, reckless enjoyment of life and living? I truly think it is our highest purpose. But it takes work and planning. 24/7, roughly.

The "why" at the end of security is fun. Same for money, and ditto for ethical behavior. If you're a dick, you have less fun.

So, when I advocate working hard, I am talking about sprinting, not jogging. Crank 24 hours per week, 7 months out of the year, and you will have lots of fun for the time remaining, and energy, too.

DD out


Working 24/7

No comments:

Post a Comment